Time Capsule

This records my personal memories, thoughts, and other miscellany.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado, United States

My wife Sue and I are retired and have lived in the same house for over 30 years. Our local family consists of son Mason, daughter Katrina, son-in-law Dan, granddaughter Natalia, and grandson Joel, all living in the same metropolitan area where we live.

Friday, January 26, 2007

My Movie Collection - January 2007


[This is an update about my movie collection.]

As of January 2007, my movie collection consists of approximately 465 films. Most of these movies were recorded by me on VHS tapes from television (almost exclusively from the Turner Classic Movie channel) and then copied to DVDs. A significant percentage of them are purchased releases, some on VHS, but most on DVD. I expect my collection to eventually contain movies only on DVD, or whatever new movie medium becomes popular in the future.

I have collected movies from three points of view: movies I have seen in the past and enjoyed; movies I have not seen, but expect to enjoy; and movies I have not seen, but have some curiosity about, some of which I expect to watch only once.

The collection includes movies from most of the movie genres, except foreign films and horror movies, types I do not care to watch. Although I am a fan of science fiction books, there are few science fiction movies in my collection. In my opinion, the large majority of such movies are not worth watching, with a few notable exceptions. A few children's movies are in the collection, but were acquired primarily for the benefit of my grandchildren. Only a couple of fantasy movies are included. A small percentage of the movies are dramas and mysteries, because I prefer comedies, musicals, adventures, action, and some romance and romantic comedies. I like some westerns, and there is a fairly good number of movies of this type. There are only a couple of biographies included.

The movies in the collection were released over the past 75 years. Only one year is not represented in the collection – 2004. I have no idea why that year is not included, and perhaps a movie of that vintage will be added later. A small number of movies from the 1930’s are present, with more from the 1940’s and 1950’s, and a larger number from the 1960’s. The 1970’s are not as numerous, while the 1980’s and 1990’s form a significant part of the collection. Only a few movies in the collection were released between 2000 and 2006. It appears that most of my favorite films came out in the 1960’s, 1980’s, and 1990’s, followed by the 1940’s, 1950’s, and 1970’s.

The oldest film in the collection was released in 1931 – Trader Horn, an adventure movie starring Harry Carey, Duncan Renaldo (who later played The Cisco Kid in the television series of that name in the mid-1950’s), and Edwina Booth. The latest release was in 2006 – Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest, an action movie starring Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom, and Keira Knightley.

At one time or another, I have seen most of the 465 movies, but a significant number remain un-viewed by me at this time. I look forward to seeing all of them. A few of the ones I recorded from TV are not of high quality for viewing, for one reason or another. Of those, I expect to gradually replace the ones I really enjoy with purchased DVD versions. I have recently replaced the entire series of James Bond movies, which I previously had purchased on VHS. The newest release of these movies on DVD includes extra DVDs of special features about the background and making of each movie, which I enjoy almost as much as the movies themselves. I also have the 12-DVD collection of the three movies in the Lord of the Rings series, with spectacular extra features. The original three movies in the Star Wars series and all of the Pink Panther series are other favorite sets in the collection. I have made good progress in collecting movies starring several of my favorite actors, including Clint Eastwood, Cary Grant, John Wayne, Doris Day, and Sean Connery. I have most of the Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers movies, most of the Bing Crosby and Bob Hope “road” comedies; and most of the Abbott and Costello farces. Perhaps my favorite all-time movie is It’s a Mad Mad Mad Mad World, which includes in the cast many of the greatest comedy actors ever.

I have recently decided to suspend copying movies from TV for a while, until I have watched more of those I have not yet seen, although I may continue to purchase movies, especially to replace some of my favorites that currently are not of good quality in the collection.

I enjoy movies for the sake of entertainment. I prefer light, sometimes frivolous films, especially with comedy included. I am not so entertained by heavy, dramatic, and depressing movies. Only a few real “classic” movies appeal to me, such as some of Humphrey Bogart’s movies and a few movies directed by Alfred Hitchcock. Of the movies I really like, I can enjoy watching them repeatedly, almost to the point of memorizing the dialog. Some prime examples include Hatari!; the original Ocean’s Eleven; and White Christmas. I would not be considered a movie aficionado and certainly not an expert on movies, but I get great pleasure from watching the ones that I find entertaining. I do not attempt to critique them or find deep meanings in them; I simply want to enjoy a couple of hours of light entertainment when I watch a movie.

I expect my collection will continue to change over the years. I will eliminate many that no longer appeal to me or that I do not enjoy when I see them for the first time. I will add movies that are not in the collection at this time, and I will replace some of those I have recorded with purchased releases. But, for the most part, the collection at this time is quite representative of all the movies I really enjoy watching.

{January 26, 2007}

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home